Soal UN SMA/MA 2010
power is generated by using uranium, which is a metal mined in various parts of
the world. The first large-scale nuclear power station was opened at Calder
Hall in Cumbria, England, in 1956.
Some military ships and submarines have nuclear power plant for engines.
Nuclear power produces around 11% of the world’s energy needed, and produces
huge amounts of energy. It causes no pollution as you’d get when burning fossil
The advantages of nuclear are as follows:
1. It costs about the same as coal, so it’s not expensive to make
2. It doesn’t produce smoke or carbon dioxide, so it doesn’t contribute to the
3. It produces huge amounts of energy from small amount of uranium.
4. It produces small amounts of waste.
5. It is reliable
On the other hand, nuclear power is very, very dangerous. It must be sealed up
and buried for many years to allow the radioactivity to die away. Furthermore,
although it is reliable, a lot of money has to be spent on safety because if it
does go wrong, a nuclear accident can be a major disaster.
People are increasingly concerned about this. In the 1990’s nuclear power was
the fastest growing source of power in many parts of the world. In 2005, it was
the 2nd slowest-growing.
1. The text discusses …..
A. Nuclear in general
B. Nuclear biggest station
C. The danger of radioactive
D. The disadvantages of nuclear power
E. The advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power
2. The opposite of dangerous
is …….(paragraph 4)
3. Why is nuclear power very
A. Its radioactivity lasts long
B. Uranium is renewable
C. It is reliable
D. It is cheap
E. It is safe
4. Which statement is TRUE
A. It is reliable
B. It is costly to make
C. It causes air pollution
D. It affects the greenhouse
E. It produces small amounts of energy
Pembahasan Kunci Jawaban:
- Yang dibahas dalam teks adalah manfaat dan bahaya nuklir
Jawaban: E. The advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power
- A. Vile: memalukan
B. Dull: bodoh
C. Tiny: kecil
D. Calm: tenang
E. Safe: aman
Dangerous: bahaya. Dangerous x safe
Jadi jawabannya E
- "nuclear power is very, very dangerous. It must be sealed up and buried for many years to allow the radioactivity to die away."
Jawabannya: a. Its radioactivity lasts long
- Furthermore, although it is reliable,